Art Analysis Blog


Guardian Angel Watching Over Children On Bridge


Artist

Lindbergh Heilige Schutzengel is the artist that created this piece and it is believed he created it as a greeting card in the 1900’s. Painting Oil on Canvas. Schutzengel is a German name so I believe the piece was created in Germany.


https://fineartamerica.com/featured/guardian-angel-watching-over-children-on-bridge-lindberg.html


My grandmother had this piece of art up in her spare bedroom in a huge oval gold frame.  


History of the piece


I read up on this piece and an interesting fact I learned was that it is believed to have become so popular because many Americans had access to country bridges at that time in American history and the bridges were not always the most reliable.  This painting was mass produced and in many American homes.  


https://www.cfb51.com/area-51/the-story-behind-this-famous-guardian-angel-painting/


The Color

There are so many pieces to this piece that I am in love with.  The opaque robes that look so voluptuous.  The angel's robes look otherworldly but have so many folds and twists it just looks like the glossiest chiffon fabric.  The texture of the robes is glossy and I find it amazing that paint could create that.  It is almost bordering on ephemeral texture. It is done so well. Just the liquid flow to it appeals to me.  Color was also used differently as a contrast against the dark background but also to set the mood.  The light around and in the angel brought the feeling of safety and protection to the piece.  The light of the angel really overpowers all the darkness of the piece.  


The shape


The more wavy lines in the little girls hair, the angels robe and in the water all create the illusion of movement.  I noticed that those areas are not as clear either.  I don’t paint but I’m thinking that in areas where there is movement the details are not as crisp.


The Danger

There are several things going on in this piece.  The broken bridge, the children without shoes or jackets, the rough water under them, the lighting in the far left corner, it being night and the cliffs in the background.  I think it’s a very exciting painting with lots to look at.  


The Light

The angel is the brightest thing in the painting.  It really lights up the very dark painting but with all the darker dangerous things in the background perfectly captures the danger but the safety in the angle.  


Contrast


The background of this painting reminds me of the Mona Lisa because that painting also has some darker landscape and sky in the background.  


Connection

While stationed in Germany for 7 years I collected Hummel Figurines.  The children in this painting remind me of Hummel’s.  



Story

This painting has lots of stories that surround it that made it even cooler as a kid to talk about with my cousins.  I’ve heard it is good luck.  I’ve heard that there are hidden faces and crosses in the background.  Hidden images and hidden meanings just made this painting come alive for me.


https://www.answers.com/Q/Are_there_evil_faces_in_Lindberg%27s_guardian_angel_painting




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renaissance

Non-Western Art and Culture

Mid Modern Vietnam